Friday, December 16, 2011

Deja Vu Blogfest


Today's The Deja Vu blogfest, which means I shall post sooner than later! I'm supposed to go back through my archives and re-post a forgotten tidbit that is awesome.

Hmmm...I don't even have much of an archive, but this is hard! There's the first post where I set up my rules so I could enjoy blogging, the post about my family, and my not-very-informative post about em-dashes and otters.

Finally I settled on one that didn't insult semi-colons or talk about hobbits.  I chose it because I am currently finding the charts very useful in motivating my three-year-old (and myself) to do those ever-friendly chores.  There's something satisfying about checking off a to-do list--or putting a tire on your very own Might Machine Chore Chart. So...here's the original post:


Chore charts

I spent a few hours this week putting together chore charts.  I'd like to say it's because I'm finally becoming responsible and adult-like, but actually it's because I like an excuse to paint.  If our house stays a little neater...well, that's just awesome bonus sauce.  There's one circle on each chart for every day of the week, and they're attached with Velcro so we can add/detach them.  Good idea?  We'll see.

Anyway.  Pictures.

Here's my husband's.  He ordered a pizza, with ONLY pepperoni (although in real life he eats lots of toppings--I think he was being sweet and keeping it simple for me):



And here's my three-year-old's.  He didn't care about difficulty level (or Mommy's lack of interest in construction vehicles), but his was still fun to paint:



Mine...well, all the initials on the spines of the books correspond with real authors.  Ooh!  And there's a raven!  I like ravens...

The initials are G.C., T.P., M.R., R.D., E.B.W., W.S., and E.S.  Make your guesses in the comments (if you dare...)

15 comments:

  1. Nice to find your blog and read below of your submitting process. I enjoy reading how other authors go about their journeys to publication!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those charts are amazing! You're so creative.

    Thanks so much for joining the Blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea, and I love yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really creative...and a fine painter! And if I were to have my own circle...it's be a pizza as well.

    Thank you for taking part today and making our blogfest so special! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. I hope it works for you. Finding a positive incentive to get the kids to do chores has been a struggle for us with all six of ours. Now the younger ones do them, but you have to watch them because they take short-cuts (not putting things where they belong, shoving things under the bed, etc.). As I say to my wife, in 10 years, when the youngest goes to college, we'll have this parenting thing figured out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather: Thanks! I love reading about the journey of other writers, too!

    Lydia: Thanks for hosting, and for the compliments! At least I didn't have to come up with the subjects of each chart. :)

    Krispy: The idea is the coolest part--it involves Velcro, which, as you know, makes an awesome sound whenever you put things on and take things off...

    DL: Cool guys go for pizza. Thanks for the compliments, and for hosting the blogfest--it's a great idea!

    Colin: I hope we get this parenting thing figured out by then, but I have my doubts! Three-year-olds are easier to motivate than the older ones, though ("look! gum!"), so we'll see how the future goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are really original. And you painted them? Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are pretty cool chore charts! I'm glad you reposted this because I really enjoyed it. I'll have to tell my daughters about your chore charts. I think they might want to copy you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Those are really fun and unique :) I love them! (I seriously think you should start a business selling these)

    Great post. Count me in as a new follower. Hope you can drop by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are the coolest! Did you really create those yourself? I am so impressed! I agree with Kristy re: marketing/selling them! I'd buy! Nice to meet you through this blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think those are the coolest charts I've ever seen. Totally impressed!

    I'm a new follower from the DejaVu Blogfest. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are all so cool! I think I like the construction one best, though, of course, I'm partial to books. Then again, I love pizza, too. Thanks for sharing. I'm a new follower via the blogfest. Nice to meet you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi from the blogfest!
    Those are super cute and creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Alex!

    Lyn: Tell them to copy away! I'd be happy to give blueprints/info, if they want it.

    Kristy: Thank you, too! These would be a fun thing to sell...if I had any skill with business. :)

    Sarah: Nice to meet you, too! I would totally make some for you, if I ever learn stuff about marketing and such (whee?).

    Margo: As long as they're cool enough for a three-year-old to set the table, they're cool enough to make me happy. Thanks for stopping by!

    Nancy: I love books best, too, but I never use rulers, so the construction vehicles came out cleaner. I have trouble with tires, though. Nice to meet you, too!

    Coleen: Thank you!

    I shall have to check out other people's blogs now. This blogfest is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Brenda! Checkin' in from the déjá vu blogfest. :) I love this idea! So cute. Hope it has worked out well for your kiddos. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete