Monday, December 19, 2011

Is it break yet?

I have to teach tomorrow. And, while I love my job, it is sort of crazy whenever Christmas falls on a Sunday--people have to work through the 23rd, often enough, which doesn't give as much time for eggnog and gingersnaps as I would like.

 Speaking of cookies, here is a recipe for some delicious ones.  If you like molasses (and I do), and if you are in a cookie-baking sort of mood...I shall live vicariously through you!


Molasses Sugar Cookies

¾ c shortening
1 c sugar
¼ c molasses
1 egg
2 t baking soda
2 c sifted all-purpose flour
2 t cloves
½ t ginger
1 t cinnamon
½ t salt

Melt shortening in a 3 or 4 quart saucepan over low heat.  Remove from heat; let cool.  Add sugar, molasses, and egg; beat well.  Sift together flour, soda, cloves, ginger, salt, and cinnamon: add to first mixture.  Mix well.  Chill.  Form 1-inch balls, roll in granulated sugar, and place on greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.  Bake in moderately hot oven (375 degrees) for 8 to 10 minutes.



4 comments:

  1. Yum! I have some molasses ginger cookie dough waiting to be rolled out in the freezer. Maybe I'll do that today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound great!! Hmmm, might need to get my baking on :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies look delicious! Totally know what you mean about working the week though. I have work this whole week too, but my brain is already half on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johanna: Do it! Or tomorrow, since I'm so late responding. :)

    Sophie: You're BAAAACK! Also, baking is delicious. You should totally get your baking on.

    Krispy: Vacation brain is tough. But soon enough our brains will be right. We will prevail!

    ReplyDelete