Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

I love Kurt Vonnegut.  Lots of the stuff he writes stays with me, and in spite of what seems like a cynical outlook in his novels, the ideas I remember most are hopeful, compassionate, and a little wistful.  Like when he says he misses the structure and support of extended families ("[H]uman beings need all the relatives they can get–as possible donors or receivers not necessarily of love, but of common decency"), or when he says that he envies the ability of religious people to believe in their faith (although he did recognize the problems with religious fundamentalism: "She was a fool, and so am I, and so is anyone who thinks he sees what God is doing."). 

All of this is a roundabout way of saying that I like how Kurt Vonnegut writes--more than that, I admire how he thinks.  So when I started watching videos (mostly due to agent Sara Crowe's blog) of Vonnegut, I decided I'd re-post the first one I watched here.


And another one, because he's just that awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment