Friday, May 20, 2011

Balancing

I love anti-heroes, characters that are dark but likable.  I remember when I first read stories about Raistlin Majere (nerdy, but fun--see this post at http://www.therejectionist.com/2011/04/happy-international-raistlin-majere-day.html for hilarious stuff I want to do next year), Gollum (yay!), Braxton Rivers (I adore The Moves Make the Man by Bruce Brooks--it was a large part of the inspiration for my first novel, which is fantasy and way different, but you should trust me: the connection's there), Heathcliff, Iago (creepy), Bartimaeous...even my son recognizes that Darth Vader is often more intriguing than Luke.  So it's no surprise that in my new novel I have a character who walks a fine line between being evil and keeping the audience sympathetic enough to read about him.  It's a tricky balancing act, and one that takes several drafts to perfect.  I hope I'm doing it well this time through--but it's a first draft, so...that's probably wishful thinking.  Still, it's my birthday Monday, so I deserve a wish (especially if I manage to blow out all the candles this year!).

(More on anti-heroes here and here.  Oh, and here's my obligatory picture(s)...



...from two of my favorite shows ever.  Coincidence?  I think NOT!)

No comments:

Post a Comment