Friday, May 13, 2011

Blogger Outage!

I sat down at the computer at my accustomed time and went to type a blog entry--but, alas, I couldn't, due to technical difficulties. So here's a brief summary of what (maybe) I would've said...

Writing is a lonely activity, and (especially in early drafts), completely self-motivated. I don't have any problems reading, but writing is work, so I've discovered a new technique on this draft: root beer floats.


Okay, so maybe I discovered that technique at the later end of my last novel, but hey. It worked. Of course, now that I'm trying to be healthier, I've replaced the root-beer-float-every-day-I-meet-my-writing-goal with a chart I hung up on the wall. If I write 500 to 1,000 words in a day, I get to check it off (I like checking things off!), and if I check off all the days in the week (except Sunday, my break-day), I get to buy a new book! So far it's working--I'm at chapter 4. If only I could get myself writing TODAY.



Here's a picture of some old ribbed books, to motivate me to open Word and start typing...

2 comments:

  1. I went to a restaurant the other day where the bar was made up of books like this stacked horizontally. I swear it was the coolest thing I'd seen in a while! Nice idea about root beers when you reach a writing goal...interestingly I've never tried a root beer. I feel somewhat lacking all of a sudden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd sit there nursing my root beer forever at a bar made up of books like that, I think...especially if I could open them. :)

    ReplyDelete