Friday, February 24, 2012

Starting Book Three

I just finished edits for Storyteller (my second book), and now I'm looking to start a third book while I finish a few bits and bobs (query letters, other beta reader edits, that sort of thing). And I've got it narrowed down to an idea, but it's quite a bit different from my first two, and I'm not sure if I can pull it off. But that's how I learn if I can pull something off--by doing it! So...back to 500 words a day, every day, until the draft is done? We'll see how it goes...

Any other tips for starting a book? I always feel my first draft goes a bit like this:


That's Dr. Who and William Shakespeare, in case you were wondering. And Shakespeare gets to improvise (write a first draft on the spot!)...

3 comments:

  1. Haha that was a good reference :) I think the best advice I have ever gotten is to just sit down and start writing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like cutting out pictures of my characters :0) Good luck for the third story!! I remember reading one author always used to delete the first page of his beginning because he'd never get right into it until then - so don't put too much pressure on it. You can always change it later :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh: It's true. I procrastinated for a few days, then decided "I won't know what it's about until I start writing!" So I started writing. :)

    Sophie: Ooooh--pictures! And I need to remember I can change it later. I was writing today, and I thought: gah, this isn't nearly as witty or funny as I want it to be. But I made myself keep going. I should tell you about the end to my first draft of Storyteller sometime--it was truly terrible, but there were good things there, and I fixed it up a lot in the second draft. Like adding a certain kiss...;)

    ReplyDelete