Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A query

I don't like writing queries.  Getting published is a process, and I don't mind revising (in fact, I like revising), or writing every day, or reading lots of books in my genre (and out of my genre, too!).  I'm even dealing with the waiting (yay for kids! and husbands! and books and games and more writing!).  It's just...I don't like writing queries.  And I've been avoiding agents who require a synopsis, because I'm not too keen on writing that, either.

Actually, if I think of queries in terms of the back of books, and writing to a potential reader, they're not so bad.  It's just that I have very limited writing time with two young kids, and I want to spend all that time on fiction.  Fiction is fun.  I can understand the need for queries, though.  For those of you who don't know the steps to publishing: first you write a book, then you write a one-page letter pitching that book (the query), and possibly a synopsis too (if you're brave).  You send the query out to agents, who decided if they want to read more of your manuscript--and once you (whew!) get an agent, they (intrepid souls!) submit to editors at major publishing houses, who choose to buy (or not) your book.  Whee.  It's worth it, though, and I'm glad other writers have been courageous enough to go through the process--that way I can read their books!  Anyway, I'm rambling, so I'll stop, because I finished a two-and-a-half-mile walk-run, and I really should take a bath now...

This is not a commentary on this post.  In fact, I added this poster to make the post worthwhile.  Because it is awesome, and I am glad it exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment