Monday, July 23, 2012

Pictures

Hmm. Well, from the very beginning I wanted my blog to be visual. But this post, while incredibly informative, is also very, very scary. I did not know Google image searches were a bad source of images (although in retrospect maybe I should have realized).

Side note: personally, as a creative person I'd be happy with any exposure that gave me credit--mostly because once I hear about something in a positive way three times or so I check it out. Take The Happiness Project, which I first read about on the lovely blog, Losing Sanity, and then read about on another blog I can't remember (oops!) and then read about in the New York Times. I've now bought the book. There's plenty of websites and comics I've followed because I found them on other websites I already like.

Essentially, I like links and reposts. But some creators have different opinions, which I understand. So...I will try to go back through and cite my sources (I am a horrible academic anyway for not doing it initially :). And I wanted to ask you: what do you think about all of this, as another blogger or just as a Surfer of Internet Goodness? I'm curious!

Here's a picture I DO have permission to post--it's "A Turret Gun" by my four-year-old. Well, okay, I don't have permission just yet. Wait a second...I'll ask. He said, "Sure!" Whew!

8 comments:

  1. First, your son is very talented. I saw an astonishingly similar painting at a museum of modern art not so long ago.

    Second, I am very cautious about intellectual rights violations. I'm thinking of ditching my Pinterest account because of this, especially because I really don't like the way their T&C leaves users out to dry after essentially encouraging them to partake in illegal activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Although I think it was due more to the inspiration of Portal and Paint tools than anything else...

      And I've been tempted by Pinterest, but I think this is the final reason not to get an account. I can always participate by vicariously looking at others' accounts, right? :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I've always steered clear of posting images off the Internet for exactly this reason. I reckon the chances of someone objecting are extremely slim, given the millions of sites out there doing exactly that, but it can happen. So, I stick to my own photos and drawings.

    Also, I am an unknown with only a few visits a day to my blog, but if I ever became rich & famous (hah!) then you can bet any past misdeeds would come home to roost :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! You are wise. I didn't even think of it being an issue until now! I certainly hope you get the rich and famous part, without any nasty roosting!

      Delete
  3. Yeah, this is the 2nd post I have seen on the subject. I think at one time or another we have all been guilty of it. Legally, I am not so sure all pictures fall in the realm, however. IF one is using it to promote a product and/or is selling something, then the answer would be a definite yes. Elsewise, the worst that could happen is that one would receive a cease and desist order from some lawyer sans any work.

    Nevertheless, like Botanist above, I try to utilize my own images, if at all possible.

    Also, if you're not doing anything,I am hosting a "Dog Days of Summer" 3-day blog fest if you're interested. It runs fromAug 10-12.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeremy! That's what my husband said. "If you're not making any money, can they charge you?" It's a good question I'll have to ask one of my law friends.

      And I'll check out your blogfest! I will be in Seattle area on vacation during August, but I may post anyway--thanks for the invite! :)

      Delete
  4. I read that article and searched through my blog to delete pictures. There weren't many - and the ones taken with my own camera (not by me) were much better anyway.

    I've heard a lot of people say you get more traffic if you post pictures, but I rarely select a blog post to read because of a picture. It's usually the title that draws me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're smart! I'm very visual, and I look at pictures all the time. Titles draw me in more, though, especially if it's a writer blog. And it's cool you take good pictures--I always feel like my photos aren't worthy of posting!

      Delete