Friday, April 6, 2012

F is for Firedrake


Firedrakes are Norse dragons. They guard treasure, and breathe fire, and kill heroes like Beowulf. To be fair to the firedrake, Beowulf did steal a jeweled cup from its lair. Then it started to eat people, and blow fire, and generally cause lots of death. Beowulf had to face it. He brought along some "loyal" Thanes, but all of them ran except Wiglaf, who ended up slaying our firedrakey friend, but not before it took Beowulf with it.

Did you know that J.R.R. Tolkien was a scholar who translated Beowulf into modern English? Smaug comes directly from that old epic poem. Which is awesome. And gives me even more of an excuse to draw a fire dragon for my blog.

11 comments:

  1. Hi, I love your post. I've been a fan of dragon mythology for a long time and also of J.R.R. Tolkien. Thanks for the great post. Gotta go...more blogs to check in on before bedtime tonight. Bye for now. Best regards to you. Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one. Especially the drawing. You draw these all right? They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do draw them, although I could do better if it weren't in Paint. I'm learning some fun new tools, though! And thanks!

      Delete
  3. Dragons. I couldn't live without them in my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the artwork series as much as the posts. Have a great A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlotte! I like visual arts, too, so in the interest of not burning myself out with writing, I decided to mess with Paint. :)

      Delete
  5. That is awesome! I have been here before, but think I missed the fact that you are doing your own art for this series, as well. Wow! Great stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa! This one is my husband's favorite. Before this one, he was all "meh" whenever I showed him a picture, but now he's checking to see new ones. :)

      Delete