Monday, October 22, 2012

SMA is the worst.



SMA, or Spinal Muscular Atrophy, is one of my least favorite things in this world. I love my niece Taleah and my niece Tabitha, and both of them have to suffer because of a genetic condition they can't control. SMA is the number one genetic killer of children under the age of two. I had never heard of SMA until I met my future-husband and his family, and now I wish it really didn't exist. It does, though. I wish it didn't, but it does.

I once went to a doctor to get the genetic test and see if I am a carrier for SMA. He'd never heard of the disease (he signed the forms anyway, side note, and I'm not a carrier). Anyway, if doctors don't always know about SMA, I figure that lots of other people don't, either. And if more people learn about it--and maybe, just maybe, if enough people care they can donate and help little children to walk and run and live a normal life.

Little Tabitha is in the hospital. I pray she will get better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment