Monday, June 18, 2012

Excuses and Oatmeal

We had five kids on Friday, so I was a naughty blogger and didn't post. I'm back now, though! And I'm going to link to this situation. I love The Oatmeal's comics on grammar and commonly-misused words (if I had a permanent classroom I would need his posters--as it stands I just almost-need them for my library-writing room). It's worth reading all four posts about the situation, starting with the first, but the gist of it is that a miffed lawyer is suing charities because of a situation that started with posting-without-permission violations of creative works by a humor-rehashing website.

It's crazy.

I can understand getting upset about the whole mother-seducing-a-bear picture, even if it is pretty funny. But suing cancer research? And wildlife foundations? Wow. That takes petty vindication to a whole new level.

What do you think? Have you been following this whole debacle? I'm amazed at The Oatmeal's poise, honestly. I'd have shown more annoyance than he did, and the charity idea is brilliant and kind.

This actually has nothing to do with The Oatmeal, but it does look tasty. You can find his comics, though. They are here. Some of them may not be work safe, but all of them are authored by a person with a pseudonym that matches this delicious breakfast food!

No comments:

Post a Comment